Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Time away...and a red bell pepper!

Steven and I got away (by away I mean withOUT the kiddos!) with some good friends this weekend! We were SO fortunate to be able to use a good friend's family cabin. (OH, thank you thank you thank you! It was amazing!) We celebrated Steven's birthday and had some quiet time just chatting and not being on a schedule. It is such a treat to spend time just being together and not being worried about keeping up with what time everyone naps and eats and plays. I think we get caught up in our life and the routine and keeping everyone moving and happy.... the simple time just enjoying eachother is priceless.
We spent two hours drinking coffee and hangng out, eating a nice lunch out (slowly) and just walking around shops and talking.  We stayed up late (at LEAST 10:00pm) talking and drinking wine. It was such a great weekend! I cherish the time that Steven and I get to spend together without the kids. It's nice to focus on eachother and remember how this all got started! :)
The kids stayed with Nunno and Poppa and had a GREAT time (as always)! They went to the park, had breakfast for dinner, and played LOTS! We got back Sunday around lunch and had some pictures done of the four of us before heading home. I can't wait to see how they turned out!

Time away is so important to Steven and I. It is great to have the time just the two of us and to miss the kids! Sometimes we get tired and frustrated with the routine and constant energy it takes to raise two kids.  I always seem to think, "You know...before we had kids we could do whatever we wanted. We had time and more money! (hahahah!) I could buy a red bell pepper any time I wanted!" (In case you are wondering.. I love red bell peppers and they are usually pretty pricey!) However, I wouldnt trade all the time and money in the world for our little life! I think getting away sometimes makes you appreciate all you have. As we sat at the dinner table last night (just the four of us) eating and talking.... I felt so incredibly happy and blessed.....and then we all danced and sang along to ACDC's "Thunderstruck" after the plates were moved away! (I know this sounds incredibly strange...but it was a blast! Jack loves the beginning of that song - it happens to be the first one on our Ipod based on alphabetical order so it seems to come on when we just hit "play") Jack and Daddy played their air guitar and Lucy danced along and pounded her high chair with her hands. I literally laughed until there were tears in my eyes. I even grabbed the video camera to try to capture our little moment! 

So... I will sacrifice my red bell peppers for my fantastic little foursome!

No comments: