Friday, June 24, 2011

Why? Why? Why?

A few weeks ago, a friend asked me if Jack had started asking "Why?" all the time. I said, "No, not really anything out of the ordinary." It seems kids go through this stage of asking why all the time. I remember some other friends that had kids that did this. I thought that wouldnt really bother me...they are learning all the time, right?! We weren't there yet...
Well....................... now we are...and it does.  Let me say that maybe it's just today. It's just one of those days where my patience isn't EXACTLY where it should be. I think I am a little tired from the week and from Daddy working lots at night this week. Maybe other days it won't seem like "Why?" is always hanging around. Jack has probably said "Why?" a hundred times today. "Why is the pig happy in the book? Why can't Mommy reach the books I put behind the headboard of my bed? Why should I stop banging the door with a bat? Why does the ghost have a teddy bear? Why are we going to run errands? WHY? WHY? WHY? And most responses do not satisfy. It generates another "Why?" Anyway, Jack wasn't being the best listener this morning and finally after about 10 chances... he got in trouble. (I think this had something to do with my patience level today) He was sent to time out after being popped on the leg (I think that makes us feel better than saying "Spank")  He, as usual, got very upset when he got in trouble (this is a good thing in my opinion since at least it is effective).  Then I start the "Why?" with him...Why are you in trouble? Why weren't you listening? (We are big on him understanding why he is in trouble and why we need to say sorry) Well, then I start the "Why?" in my head... Why did Jack get in trouble? Why do I feel guilty about it? Why didnt I take him outside to play this morning? Is his energy confined here inside while sister is napping? Was it my fault he was not listening? Wow.... and then the loop begins? Why am I not being patient?
Whew...it wears me out writing it.
We pulled it together and ended up successfully running some errands this afternoon (with both kids holding it together while I looked for patriotic decorations for new pillow covers and a wreath) I can only imagine how exciting that was for them. Jack did enjoy it and did a great job just walking with me through the stores. We did touch several things and we did end up at each register with a few items that I had to whisper to the cashier that we were not going to purchase today. Jack had picked them up and said "But I love this, I want to keep it!" and it came along the journey with us... Hopefully he wont remember. HOWEVER, he did talk all about the yellow flower he got for Daddy and couldnt wait to give it to him (Uh-oh that was an item that we "did not purchase" today) So...we did get a yellow flower at our next destination. Now...will he remember it again?

It's just one of the days I want to remember.... remember all the good and the bad. I am thankful for today..I am thankful for the two beautiful exhausting children we have! I try to enjoy every minute with them...and right now... I am thankful they are both asleep!

No comments: