Friday, March 4, 2011

Do you laugh or cry?

We had a big day today.... maybe not big to most, but big to us.  Our day started out very early. We needed to be at Ga Tech by 8:40 to get ready for Jack's first swim lesson of the season. I have found that the hardest part of having two children is getting out the house. It always takes longer than I think... Daddy was around before he left for work to help us, but it was still an ordeal. We got in the car and were happy and on our way! When we met our instructor...she informed us that she just found out that the pool closed on Fridays at 9am for maintenance (Hmmm... our lesson starts at 9am so how could that be?!) Anyway, that was the beginning of my frustration. Luckily, one of the lifeguards was nice enough to stay an extra 30 minutes so we could have our lesson. (I think that the instructor that we paid and scheduled the lesson with should have known this, right?) Anyway, it could not have gone much worse. Jack was not happy and didnt get over it the whole lesson. I was so upset. He just never gets upset and cries like that! We stepped away so they could not see us...It didnt help that I could hear the instructor continuously tell the children "Stop..Stop..Stop crying!" I dont think that is the best way to get a toddler to stop crying, but what do I know?! I was not impressed with the experience, she was not energetic or fun with the kids... Maybe I am officially that mom that blames the teacher if my child is upset... I hope not.  I am ok with Jack being upset or scared by something new..this was just not a good experience all the way around! That was an expensive bad experience! Oh well, I am not giving up on the swimming lessons! We will try again!
Then, we decided to go to the aquarium with Julie and Caroline (swimming lessons and then the aquarium with both kids in one day..yes, I was asking for it!) Jack had never been and since we were so close it sounded fun! We got there and parked..the kids watched a movie in the back while I fed Lucy in the front seat (I am getting more and more comfortable nursing in a parking lot! Geeez... that poor second child is just on the go all the time!) However, Lucy had an explosive poopy all over her cute outfit! Thank goodness I had grabbed a set of fleece pjs to throw in her bag at the last minute! Wardrobe change!

We headed in and were really excited! But before we got to go see all the fish, we all needed to go potty! So here I am with Lucy strapped to me in the Bjorn, pushing the snap n go (I knew I would need that at some point in the outing if she fell asleep) and holding Jack's hand. We went into the handicap stall as a family (Hahah!) Jack had to sit on the potty because it was too tall for him to stand or me to hold him. So I knelt down in front of him (So if you can picture this..Lucy is then hanging off my chest right in front of him) he starts saying "Oh Lucy, you are so beautiful!" and reaching to touch her. I scream.."NO, dont touch her face with your hands!" I mean we are on the potty at this time! Jack got done and I tried my balancing act to tinkle with lucy strapped to me and keep Jack from running out of the bathroom.  Well, I was doing pretty well until I reached over to grab Jack and banged Lucy's head on the handicap rail on the wall! WOW. Luckily she was ok, she cried for a minute, but was really fine and no lasting marks to prove I hurt my child! Whew! This is when I thought maybe we should just head home..it was just a bit much to be at the aquarium with both of them in such a busy place. But I took a deep breath and we headed on our adventure. It really did turn out to be such a fun time. Jack LOVED it. He was so excited and would run to the next exhibit screaming "Ohmigosh!!! LOOK AT THAT!" I dont know when I have heard him say that but it was pretty funny! He was thrilled by everything and very happy to be with his good buddy Caroline. It was so nice to spend the day with Julie and Caroline. It's nice to have great friends to do things like this with!
We went across the street to Johnny Rockets and had lunch. WOW, big yummy burgers and milkshakes. It was a treat! Everyone cooperated but Lucy. She had had just about enough. She pulled through so we could finish eating, and then we headed out (it took us awhile to get to our car... little confusion in the parking deck..I am sure you can imagine this was not calming at the end of a long day) ANYWAY, we got in the car and I fed Lucy again and she was so happy and smiling! We got home and had some down time. No one really napped but we had some great time together in Jack's room just playing..one of those good happy moments.
Everyone went to bed early tonight, and we are about to have a glass of wine.....or three! Hahahah!
Unfortunately, I have NO pictures to document today...Didnt make it out the door with the camera this morning!
Even the tough days are worth it! Whew...but I am tired!

No comments: